Wednesday, May 18, 2016

PI Critter Cam Day 3: Correcting IP and Screenshots.

We left off from last time trying to get the PI to connect to the internet.

I've forced my router to assign the PI to a static IP address.  I can see the PI now, but it's still not connecting to the internet.

Ah, I have to put the static IP address for the PI here, not the router's address:

And we have the internet!  In fact, I'm writing this on the PI. :)

Obviously, I also figured out screenshots.  You use Scrot, which comes out of the box with Raspian.  It takes some getting used to, but has lots of features, which you can see with it's help (scrot -h).

Here's what I used to get the active window with a 10 second delay (scrot -d10 -u).  



Thanks to this guy for getting me started with the screenshot.

So, now that we're off that tangent, we can start with the camera again.  Next, we'll work on seeing if we can get the camera to respond to commands through Python...

----------   UPDATE   --------------

I was still having trouble, until I saw the PI had no default gateway.  I was wondering where that was supposed to go!

Anyway, I found via stackexchange how to add it.  Here's a screenshot:







No comments: