Sunday, May 15, 2016

Start of a New Project: PI Critter Cam

So, I'm starting a new project that I will inevitably not finish.  This one involves the use of a Raspberry PI.  My primary goal is to learn more about electronics and programming and how they interact.  My secondary goal is to build an outdoor camera that will take pictures of critters, particularly critters that are in the woods behind the house that my dog has taken a keen interest in.

So far, all of the components for the beginnings of the project have been ordered (I think) and I've got the Raspberry PI working.  In fact, I'm writing this on it!  I've got a long way to go, though.  A lot this is pretty new to me.

Will I get to the end of this project?  We'll see.  History is certainly not on my side, but I'll hopefully have fun along the way, regardless of where I end up.

The first step (after getting the PI to work as a computer):  getting the camera connected.  Here's it hooked up.


and I installed the Python module through the terminal.

I typed in:  sudo apt-get install python3-picamera.  I'd show a screenshot, but it looks like I have to install a PI program to do that.  I'll need to do a little research there.

Anyway, my next step will be to test it out, see if I can get Python to take a picture...

No comments: