Friday, November 18, 2016

Pi Critter Cam Day 14: A Step Back

Well, things didn't go as planned. 

Every time I start the Pi, it'll take a few pictures, but soon stop working.  This is according to the TOP application accessible through the terminal that, I think, acts like a Task Manager and shows all the running applications.  pi-timolo shows up for about 15 minutes or so, then disappears from the list of active programs.  Somethings amiss.  

I tried reinstalling pi-timolo, but that didn't help.  

I then tried updating the Raspian operating system using the instructions at raspberrypi.org, which essentially has me run two lines in the terminal.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And that's pretty much it.  After it finished doing the update and performing a reboot, pi-timolo was able run all night without crashing.  Hooray!

However, the birdseed holder and Pi container are other issues.  I've got another sandwich box that I plan on using with some scrap wood.  I think the USB battery I'm using is also shot.  So, I bought another one.  I'll put everything together tomorrow and see if we can finally get this thing working...

No comments: